Sunday, March 27, 2011

Most of us are insatiable beings

Lately I've noticed that I've been purchasing things (e.g. shoes, nail polish, apparel, accessories) on a monthly basis and returning them afterwards because I realized that I don't really need or dissatisfied with whatever it is that I had bought.  Reasons for this?  I know that part of it is due to consumerism.  To satisfy our insatiable appetite for having something new or the next new thing (mainly technology and fashion) offered on the market that we don't necessarily need, but want.  There are different reasons behind the wanting of whatever it may be that you want: 1) someone you know has it; 2) you need to be up-to-date with the latest "it" item; 3) it looks good on someone (models in advertisements, a friend, a stranger), it may look good on you too, so you should acquire it; 4) it's such a good deal that you simply can't pass up on it because you know that you'll kick yourself later for not buying it; 5) you deserve this gift to yourself; 6) you have extra money; and 7) any other reasons you may have.  At some point, we are all guilty of any of the reasons mentioned above for a lot of the things we currently own.  I for one am a sucker for a good deal.  Does knowing that you don't need something help you walk away from what you were about to buy and think about it over a few days? We were fine before acquiring the new item, so why can't we continue on without it and why can't we stop thinking about how great it would be to own it?  So we eventually buy the item and become happy with it for however long it may be.  Then we find something else to buy and the cycle continues.

2 comments:

  1. My strap came with the LV keepall 55 carryon; however I do believe they sell a smaller/thinner strap seperately. I suggest checking your local LV store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA - this post sounds it could be written by me. I am a sucker for bargains as well but sometimes I think to myself - what the heck am I going to do with it! Its best to shop with a partner, he/she will always tell you to walk a way ;)

    http://justtututiny.blogspot.com/
    Thu

    ReplyDelete